Author Topic: Games aren't what they use to be  (Read 23012 times)

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • SEN ID: PMS_BiPoLar
  • Wii ID: 4621-2040-3385-5205
  • XBL ID: PMS BiPoLar
Games aren't what they use to be
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:09:05 pm »
Oh video games... how I miss you.

Wow.. gaming it has caught me up in graphics. Now everything is.. get hd, buy the best tv, get the best graphics... wow that is pretty, Whatever happen to the gameplay? Don't get me wrong I play my playstation 3 and Xbox 360 all the time and I love it. Recently however I've been playing old school games like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy 7 then I look at what we are doing with our games now and wow... wow... blinded by shiny things, skin pores on my character, trophies and gamerscore.

Whatever happened with how hard puzzles were in games? You use to find a key and wonder around for an hour before you found the door it went to. Now you find a key, turn around, walk five feet and TADA there is the door. Old school Final Fantasy gave you an entire world and you had to figure out where u were suppose to go. You could wonder around for hours lost as heck but when you found it... sigh what a feeling. In Tomb Raider you would be marching along then BAM!! SPIKES THROUGH YOU HEAD!!! YOUR DEAD LOSER START OVER!!! I miss it... I really do.

I remember when you could mess up so bad you would have to start the game completely over... run out of mana, materials, ammo which was so easy to do in resident evil, you could drop down to fight the last boss in FF7 without enough potions. So frustrating you would throw your controller and ride your bike for the next two days. You would always come back  though, because that feeling of completing it was something. Going to school bragging to your friends how you could beat it and they couldn't. It's not like that anymore.. it's how fast can I beat it because everyone can beat the games they make now, no problem.

You would even be judged on how many times you saved.. and how many times you could save. Ink ribbons from resident evil remember those? Now autosave this, autosave that... save where ever and as many times as you want. I can remember as far back as when they would give you a code for each level because saving wasn't an option you just better not die sucka.

I'm boycotting... "We want a challenge, we want a challenge!" "Want to buy a game, not a 60 dollar movie" I'm joking... but really I miss challenges, and puzzles. Now they pulled all the puzzles out and put them in Groovin' Blocks and Mahjong Tales. Combine them again.. I'm begging you. I want to get frustrated and cry at games... not follow an arrow telling me exactly where to go, find the flashing item I need on the ground, follow the arrow to a boss, button mash, then watch a cut scene. I WANT TO DIE IN A VIDEO GAME!! AHHHH!!

DarkWraith56

Re: Games aren't what they use to be
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:31:17 pm »
Thats why you pick up in the groove or DDR, just gets harder and harder making you want to cry whenever you get done playing.

But yes i know what you mean games are to easy thats why multiplayer is becoming vastly favorited over everything else

Offline Billy Mays

• Official OKgamer
  • More like Wrath of the Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:49:20 pm »
Alfheim portals in Bayonetta.

Nuff said.

Even thinking about them is making me cringe a tiny bit.

Offline Lupin7

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:24:47 pm »
       It seems like games now a days take to much time trying to impress others with their great graphics and such that they don't spend hardly time trying to come up with a decent story line or plot or setting, with the exception of the Uncharted series for PlayStation. That's why Nintendo is a favorite of mine. There graphics may need just a tad bit of catching up to do if they want to compete with PlayStation or Xbox, but their games are just great, they way they're set up.
Marathon Maniac #3199. So if anyone calls me a noob I'll play my trump card.

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:32:04 pm »
Im going to number your paragraphs so that i can reply without making a huge quote

1: graphics come with progression. however, as you seemed to imply, yes some studios focus more on graphics and less on gameplay
seriously guys bloom isnt everything
its just not.
ow my eyes

2: what? puzzles werent hard in older games, unless the puzzle was "what am i supposed to be doing this story sucks"
if you miss random spikes through the face, play demons souls.

3: i usually would go kick a ball around, but same thing. also if you want that anger-then-coming-back feeling, go play demons souls
it happens every five minutes

4: demons souls auto saves every time you do anything (there is no normal saving)
at all
besides moving, anyways. although sometimes, just to screw with you, it will do that as well

5: if you want to die that badly
go play demons souls
doesnt really have puzzles, unless you consider boss battles puzzles. which they kind of are
"hm this guy is pretty big. how do i attack and eventually kill him without getting hit at all, because if i get hit once i die"

so to sum up my whole post, go play demons souls
if you do and need help and im not busy shoot me a private message

oh look my post was huge anyways

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:37:21 pm »
       It seems like games now a days take to much time trying to impress others with their great graphics and such that they don't spend hardly time trying to come up with a decent story line or plot or setting, with the exception of the Uncharted series for PlayStation. That's why Nintendo is a favorite of mine. There graphics may need just a tad bit of catching up to do if they want to compete with PlayStation or Xbox, but their games are just great, they way they're set up.

yeah, except nintendo likes to make games for children now

if the next zelda doesnt step it up, then im going to sadface all over everywhere

Offline Billy Mays

• Official OKgamer
  • More like Wrath of the Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:31:55 pm »
Demon souls sounds like a please kill me i can't play anymore why is the controller back in my hand and why is it almost broken kind of game

holy cow must get.

i've been nerd raging at alfheim portals in bayonetta for a week now

it hurts

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:49:34 pm »
I just miss games with twists and more story, puzzles, and actual thinking. Games made today require no thought... look at final fantasy 13, it's so easy. The hardest part of that game was getting use to the shifting. They even took mana out and practically held your hand leading you through it... libram, auto attack, auto attack, shift, auto attack... walk... cutscene... repeat. It is a beautiful game don't get me wrong, but blah.

I agree the multiplayer has taken over their attention. I love multiplayer, but why can't I have both. haha. I don't have anything against trophies, but they are practically there to give you a sense of accomplishment and push you to finish more games. Seems like its really a trick, because in older gaming the pure gameplay made you feel the same way.

I hate that everything is so casual now. The younger audience doesn't want to think anymore. "Hand everything to me or I quit and I will give the game bad reviews after I google the walkthroughs so I can get my trophies."

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 10:41:43 pm »
Demon souls sounds like a please kill me i can't play anymore why is the controller back in my hand and why is it almost broken kind of game

holy cow must get.

i've been nerd raging at alfheim portals in bayonetta for a week now

it hurts

first playthrough of demons souls is easycakes
second playthrough is pretty much just punishing yourself for no reason. most anything can one-two hit you. but you feel leet when you beat a boss i guess
i would say that my controllers arent broken like somebodies because of nerd rage, but they are getting there because they are ps3 controllers and ps3 controllers are terrible and break from normal playing

1: problem here is that you are playing a final faggotry game ololol i am original
2: you can have both! i dont know what game or what system but im sure it probably has something to do with co-op (the couch kind (which is the best kind))
3:too bad. the market shifts to the buyers, and the buyers want dumbed down games. also, its not that they dont want to think anymore, they just dont want thinking in their games. its a new breed of gamers, and they are casuals. i predict that the family oriented audience will either die out soon or become smaller than it is now. of course, thats assuming that somebody or something removes nintendo from the playing field

they should go back to making playing cards

Offline LionHeart9999

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 11:46:46 pm »
Pretty sure you never ever ever needed potions on the last boss in ff7, "all" materia paired with "cure3" and/or "regen" and "final attack" paired with phoenix summon did more than enough. Heck, the "Knights of the Round" summon pretty much tore through everything. Even the right materia chains would practically guarantee invincibility. Heh, that 'potions' bit just gleamed out at me.

I had a jolly time with Demon's Souls on my first playthough...but on my second, it's nightmarish really. I have no set build on my character (was going for a Faith based build, but I just couldn't stop adding to Vitality xD), just random upgraded weapons I happened to find useful on my first playthough. The weapons which I found insanely useful on my first time now just do mediocre to little damage, and killing those shiny geckos for rare ores is a pain in the butt (in NG+). I beat the first boss on every world in NG+ (and Tower Knight in 1-2) aaaaand that's where I stopped. New Game+ is quite a challenge, but seems like a real time sinker to me. I got other games to play, heh.

Oh yeah, "everybody dies at least once by the Red Dragon".

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:20:46 pm »
The potions thing was a matter of speaking... the point was once you went down the rope if you forgot anything you needed too bad.

I have not tried demon's souls so I will give it a try.

I understand that modern day gamers want to run and gun or button mash... but if you do come from the "WTH IS THIS KEY, OMG SPIKES IN THE FACE" or having 3 lives and your butt clenched on the last one... you just miss the challenge. All those things just made you pay more attention to a game. I can run through games hitting a button and carrying a conversation while cooking dinner now.

I've been downloading ps1 games from PSN and I've just fallen in love with them all over again. They are games from my childhood and it is like seeing an old friend plus the smoothing looks lovely. I enjoy games from both gens and I am very much one of those people that get the best tv, the best set up, the best of everything to really make those graphics POP. Just playing the older games makes me want something like that for this gen with the awesome graphics and the actually voicing not just text talk, ha.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:51:01 pm by BiPoLar BuNNy »

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 04:20:16 pm »
i dont know how far your gaming goes back, but you could always try cave story. its freeware, old school nes styled 2d shooter with an actual story and some awesome 8-bit music. i dont generally like those kinds of games but i find myself continuously  trying to finish cave story so eh

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

Offline makosira

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 05:52:45 pm »
Pretty sure you never ever ever needed potions on the last boss in ff7, "all" materia paired with "cure3" and/or "regen" and "final attack" paired with phoenix summon did more than enough. Heck, the "Knights of the Round" summon pretty much tore through everything. Even the right materia chains would practically guarantee invincibility. Heh, that 'potions' bit just gleamed out at me.

I just feel like saying that Sephiroth really isn't that hard. At all.
Maybe he was slightly difficult the FIRST time you fight him, but after that? There's no difficulty.

I've actually been tempted to try a No Materia challenge for the game. Only problem is, is that I'm not sure I particularly want to item farm.

Edit:
Which reminds me, I should start playing my Attack/Item Only challenge on Final Fantasy IX again, and upload those videos to youtube...
I've also pondered doing a No Equipment challenge for Final Fantasy IX as well.
No Healing/No Money would also be pretty interesting for the game...
Also, Level One challenge.
I'll stop pondering now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:55:45 pm by makosira »
360 Live Gamertag: SulkiestSun

Someone had already taken makosira and sira... Who the heck uses 'makosira' besides me? o_O

Offline SeenNotScene

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 06:34:56 pm »
so to sum up my whole post, go play demons souls
if you do and need help and im not busy shoot me a private message

You Should have just said that in the first place :P

Never played Demon Souls, but I don't think she's really looking for an "answer", seems more like a frustrated post to me. 

Bipolar, I have to agree; games are not what they used to be.  BUT, there are the gems that make you keep playing video games, such as Uncharted 1 & 2, Fallout 3, anything that is immersive and SINGLE PLAYER.

Personal opinion, a lot of times for me, it is the actual players in a game SUCH AS Modern Warfare 2, the IQ if combined by all players would most likey equal 10.  I got so sick of the horrible trash talk, the yelling, no teamwork, it drove me to not want to play mulitplayer games anymore, except for Left 4 Dead 2, cant keep me from killing zombahs!

Bottom line, You're not alone :)  I too was wandering around ALL of the resident evil games as a lad, but due to the graphics (lame, I know) I could only really play those older ps games on a PSP.  The pixels are the size of square inches on my 46" LED lol

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 06:42:24 pm »
If you dl the older ps1 games like resident evil off the playstation network they did a pretty good smoothing job on them. I have a 46 inch and it looks fine and dandy. I know what your saying tho... my friend and I tried to play the original ff8 on his backwards compatible ps3 and wow... did that look horrible. ha

Okay Bees McGee... I bought this so called Demon's Souls should have it in 7-8 days. If it lets me down... I will hunt for you.