Author Topic: HXC NEXT OKC TOURNAMENT MORE TEAMS!  (Read 4998 times)

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
HXC NEXT OKC TOURNAMENT MORE TEAMS!
« on: July 01, 2008, 03:24:43 pm »
Ok first tournament was a success, even though i thought it was about to be a disaster due to the power shortage. I was disappointed in the amount of crying due to the fact of the power going out. All so called gamers had to do is wait.. I think  they were scared of G WADE and the mighty CHECK YO FACE team. So anyway Games for this tournament will be Halo 3, Guitar Hero, Super Mario Smash bros BRAWL/Melee. Equipment will be available but to avoid dissappointment bring your own. There will be at least 16 televisions but to make things run more smoothly please bring one if you cant its ok come anyway. Last tournment we had technical difficulties if it happens again please just be patient, GAME STOP was on their way to the tournament and I told them not to come due to the babying that was going on and I felt like no one appreciated what was about to happen. No worries though, other games will be played but Halo 3, Guitar Hero, Super Mario Smash bros BRAWL/Melee are the main events of the tourney. Please give us feed back. Feel free to email us. Hard Core Lan Center
[email protected]
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline G WaDe

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Re: HXC NEXT OKC TOURNAMENT MORE TEAMS!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 03:02:46 am »
i can promise a repeat for future tournaments from Check Yo Face!

ironlou

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:09:53 am »
Just some words of advise if you want your business to be successful....I would limit the "crybaby comments" because it throws a bad image on your new business venture. People who attend these regularly want a smooth running tourney and you can't blame them. Especially if they have to put money on the table they want things to run smooth. A small hiccup here and there is expected but if it looks like a problem then people will not want to show up.

I would aslo put a sign up time lmit on there before the scheduled start time. I used to help run Paintball tourneys and we always had sign up cutoff the day before the tourney so brackets were done up and ready for the start time the next day. Maybe you guys could implement something along those lines. This would help to see if enough of a certain game shows up ie. Gears. One thing that sucks is showing up to a tourney only not to get to play because there are not enough teams. Just some food for thought, good luck and my team would like to be there to compete in Gears.

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:13:10 pm »
Just some words of advise if you want your business to be successful....I would limit the "crybaby comments" because it throws a bad image on your new business venture. People who attend these regularly want a smooth running tourney and you can't blame them. Especially if they have to put money on the table they want things to run smooth. A small hiccup here and there is expected but if it looks like a problem then people will not want to show up.

I would aslo put a sign up time lmit on there before the scheduled start time. I used to help run Paintball tourneys and we always had sign up cutoff the day before the tourney so brackets were done up and ready for the start time the next day. Maybe you guys could implement something along those lines. This would help to see if enough of a certain game shows up ie. Gears. One thing that sucks is showing up to a tourney only not to get to play because there are not enough teams. Just some food for thought, good luck and my team would like to be there to compete in Gears.
You know your right! I apologize! I want to run a Gears tournament but gears gamers are hard to find... we will be playing Gears but I dont think enough will show for the tournament we will see! Thanks for the honest criticism. See you there! July 26th 2828 NW 30th, OKC, OK East Side of MAY
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

Offline G WaDe

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »
also if i may, i think you all should keep tabs on who placed what at each tournament and draw up the brackets accordingly. just a suggestion.

Offline TH3 R3LIGION

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • No XBL FR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:02:12 pm »

Well the problem with this is the fact that you are dealing with gamers who in and of themselves are anything but reliable so you have to keep signup open and of the day of the event bc quite honestly most of the people who show at events are the ones posting in threads they are just people lurking the forums. Then there are also those like myselves who actually have a life and things happen, things pop up and you cant really do anything about it. So you have to keep signups the day of the event.

As far as gears is concerned i have personally refused to hold any type of gears events at anything i have ran the last two years bc flat out you people dont show up, there arent that many of you and you never show. At most one team of dedicated people will show up and thats it. I mean MLG a nationally advertised and funded event cant fill up a gears tourney and have dropped it from most of their events. Sorry its just reality, you want a gears tourney you are going to have to go to a MLG event. Nothing against you personally but its just the reality of the gaming community.
DO NOT SEND ME A FR UNLESS I KNOW YOU PERSONALLY

SEMI-PROS ARE HORRIBAD

Offline G WaDe

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:09:27 pm »
MATT YOU BETTER BE AT THE NEXT TOURNEY! IM SUPER CEREAL RIGHT NOW! ALL CAPS!!!!!!!

unholyk001 aid

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 08:28:07 pm »
i suggest having some kind of...recruitment thing. like if there are people willing to enter a 4v4 have them sign up on a recruitment list where people looking for their 4th or whatnot can look on. IMO I think it would increse how many teams play.

Offline DrViper

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Check Please
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 08:55:31 pm »
MATT YOU BETTER BE AT THE NEXT TOURNEY! IM SUPER CEREAL RIGHT NOW! ALL CAPS!!!!!!!

I agree... Coach Matt

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 03:08:57 am »

Another point on the whole 'gamers and signup' - keep in mind the plight of the average 15 to 17+ yr old who depends on parents to do anything.  They are at the mercy of others to help them get places, and until they are in the car, somtimes won't know for sure if they are going to be making it for sure.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

ironlou

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 07:48:32 am »
I hear what you are saying about the Gears' players....It sucks we can't get more people out for this awesome game but we'll show up hoping to run thru some teams.

As for signups, although the signup souinds like it may not work let me share this with you all. I use to help/ref out at Adventure Zone paintball which is waaay out in Guthrie. When a tourney would come up the signup deadline was the saturday night becasue the tourney was on Sunday. There were plenty of teams that could not drive and had to rely on parents to drive them there and they did show up. Alot of times all you have to do is think about it, people that have to enter and leave money there will show up.

I know it sounds like it would not work but if you want to increase the number of people who turn out for these tourneys, you have to get their money early so it does 2 things #1 means you will have more people showing up for it and #2 if they dont show, with no refund you still make money to pay for the place. After all this is a business right? All I'm saying is take care of those that are already showing up to the tourneys by getting them started on time. Word of mouth alone along with these forums will spread by how professional they are being run. If you fail to start these on time then you will lose those that have been showing up.

Offline TH3 R3LIGION

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • No XBL FR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 11:44:05 am »
I hear what you are saying about the Gears' players....It sucks we can't get more people out for this awesome game but we'll show up hoping to run thru some teams.

As for signups, although the signup souinds like it may not work let me share this with you all. I use to help/ref out at Adventure Zone paintball which is waaay out in Guthrie. When a tourney would come up the signup deadline was the saturday night becasue the tourney was on Sunday. There were plenty of teams that could not drive and had to rely on parents to drive them there and they did show up. Alot of times all you have to do is think about it, people that have to enter and leave money there will show up.

I know it sounds like it would not work but if you want to increase the number of people who turn out for these tourneys, you have to get their money early so it does 2 things #1 means you will have more people showing up for it and #2 if they dont show, with no refund you still make money to pay for the place. After all this is a business right? All I'm saying is take care of those that are already showing up to the tourneys by getting them started on time. Word of mouth alone along with these forums will spread by how professional they are being run. If you fail to start these on time then you will lose those that have been showing up.

Again these are gamers, not exactly the most motivated group on the face of the planet. And these are local tourneys for fun if you cant spare 30 minutes extra time to just kick it and hang out whats the point in going anyways. Not trying to be a douche i just know for  a fact i have thrown more tourneys than anyone else here and these are just the facts
DO NOT SEND ME A FR UNLESS I KNOW YOU PERSONALLY

SEMI-PROS ARE HORRIBAD

ironlou

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 11:56:34 am »
I don't take anything personnal religion, I hear where you are coming from. I'm just trying to throw out some ideas to try and help out the gaming scene here so it's more competative and main stream

For me, I'm too competative to go hang out at a tourney. As soon as I hear tourney it's all business and I'm there to compete and win not socialize. Then again, that's just me.

Offline Joe Mama 525

• Official OKgamer
  • 6 - Button Slayer
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 09:10:33 pm »
There is no reason this tournament shouldn't flow smoothly guys, just show up and everyone will have fun. ;D
"Chicken Brawk-wii?"

Offline godmode

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • XBL Gamertag = Oh My Godmode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 05:45:54 pm »

Well the problem with this is the fact that you are dealing with gamers who in and of themselves are anything but reliable so you have to keep signup open and of the day of the event bc quite honestly most of the people who show at events are the ones posting in threads they are just people lurking the forums. Then there are also those like myselves who actually have a life and things happen, things pop up and you cant really do anything about it. So you have to keep signups the day of the event.

As far as gears is concerned i have personally refused to hold any type of gears events at anything i have ran the last two years bc flat out you people dont show up, there arent that many of you and you never show. At most one team of dedicated people will show up and thats it. I mean MLG a nationally advertised and funded event cant fill up a gears tourney and have dropped it from most of their events. Sorry its just reality, you want a gears tourney you are going to have to go to a MLG event. Nothing against you personally but its just the reality of the gaming community.

You realize that isn't true, right? In fact, it's the complete opposite. Gears of War team passes sell out in minutes. They ADDED it to another stop because it's so popular.

There are tons of Gears players here, but we don't wanna go play 5 second downs and stupid rules like at Gridcon. We wanna play a series. We wanna actually play competitively. We don't want any quirky rules to "spice things up."