Author Topic: Oklahoma loses one of it's best: Forest "Solidus" Sharp passes 7/3/11  (Read 8398 times)

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Reports have seeped in through Facebook that indeed - Forest "Solidus" Sharp has passed.  Solidus and his girlfriend from Nevada, Ashlie Johnson, both were pronounced dead on the scene of their early morning crash on Interstate 40.  News Channel 10 has the report on their website.

Many take gaming seriously - but the path Solidus took was far steeper than most will ever know.

Gamers are, for the majority, a lazy lot.  When you start to deal with "hardcore" tournament attending gamers they can take it up a notch, whining and complaining; even to the point they kill off their own opportunities.  A gamer group can 'have it good', and never say thanks; only taking the time to tell you how it could have been better, in no uncertain terms.  Organizing gamers can seem like the combination of a punishment, a thankless job, and trying to herd cats - all at the same time...

So that's why not just for the local gamers, but Oklahoma along with OKgamers and the entire region to lose one of the rare people who would not only stand up during all that?  But grow the community?  Take on the effort to coordinate and create more opportunities for it?  Despite all the drama, and backbiting, and lack of thanks?  That takes a special person - the kind of person Solidus was, Ashlie all along seemingly backing him and offering praise.  Losing someone like Forest is bad enough; knowing that we'll lose all that came along with his passions, his desire, and his push for improving the community...  That is just an unfair blow in an already horrible situation.

Solidus - to say you will be missed isn't nearly enough; but it's all I can think to say, and put into words.  You and Ashlie deserved far better; you will be missed.

- Saif Khan,  Tulsa lead for OKgamers.com

--

Solidus Video Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EJpzg-8JVA

Saif aka X A here.  Reviewing photos from OKgamers 5th anniversary event on 3/26 - I've started to think Solidus might have been half ninja - as he's rarely in any photos we captured what so ever.  We did have some video that we've thrown together for those that were near to him to have.  If anyone runs into the family members that'd want the original resolution video, while I know it's not much, they are more than welcome to it - just have them go through the contact form on OKgamers.com

X A

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:30:33 am by X_A »
Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Offline ThirdMarioBro

• OKgamers T.O.
  • Familiar Face
    • View Profile
    • GamesAreEvil
  • SEN ID: ThirdMarioBro
  • XBL ID: ThirdMarioBro
I don't know what to say. This is just heartbreaking on every level. I'm so sorry.

Offline Zinth

• Familiar Face
  • Dancing Mad
    • View Profile
This is a nice memorial, Saif.
*_.-:[Zinth]:-._*

Offline SmokeMaxX

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
This loses its effect since I've copied and pasted it in multiple places, but...

RIP Solidus. I've said my words of peace to him on his Facebook page, but I have made an executive decision to name the ARK IV Melee Tournament in his honor. I don't know what difference it'll make in the long run, but it's one way that I'll personally pay my respects to him. Hopefully I'll have a little memorial up for him at our event as well.

Also, if you'd like to send me a copy of that video Saif, I can get it up on the ARK IV stream if you think it'd be a good idea. Anything to help.  :'(

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
I come on here and read this just after talking to the guy a week ago?

the only thing I got is........

This blows goats...

Offline po pimpus

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
I don't know what to say... This is a terrible thing to have to deal with. Forest was, whether you liked him or not, a pivotal figure in our gaming scene. He nearly single-handedly revived the Melee AND Brawl communities in OKC/Norman, and was giving light to those so-called 'niche air-dash fighters' like Arcana Heart 3 and BlazBlue. Super Bit Wars was set to be his magnum opus... This community won't see anyone like him again.

Beyond that, however, he was person-- At times cynical, overbearing, and maybe even a little crazy(but who among us isn't?) stubborn, and a bit obnoxious... However, those were merely symptoms of a man who possessed an indescribable passion for gaming culture and an unmatched desire to unite gamers of every kind under a banner of competition. He and I would often debate about gaming as a whole, and I'll never forget the many games we played together... I remember teaching him about the Peach/Luigi match-up, and watching as he went from getting constantly 4-stocked to eventually being able to beat me. Moments like those are what I will always cherish.

He and Ashlie were the most unique and friendly couple I've ever had the pleasure of making an acquaintance of. Their home was always open to us, even if we were playing a game he had no interest in, he would still entertain us and give us a place to gather and get better. Ashlie, while not as hardcore as the rest of us, was always friendly and welcoming to all these strange people that would frequent her abode. I hope they both realized how lucky they were to have each other, and that wherever they are now, they are still arguing over cosplay choices, lol.

Forest, you will be missed dearly. Not only for your efforts as an organizer, but as someone I call friend. The Smash community is like a close-knit family, and to lose a brother and sister in such a sudden and shocking way is a terrible blow to us. But, I am certain that one of us will step up and carry on the work you started.
Goodbye, my friends. May you both rest in peace.

Offline D3AD

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: all my tags: D3ADL
Solid you will b missed bro... we will continue to strive on.  continue the road that u laid out..
Either be one of the best, or be dead like the rest

Offline FLIP17

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • THIS IS SWAAAAAGTASTIC
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Flip17
You know this makes me wanna continue where he left off. I wanna build a community so strong that it stands to be a testament to what he had visioned seeing the OKGamers being. I didn't know him to well, but I don't want to see him go in vain. I will always remember him. and I won't let the dream that he had die because of this. It raises my spirits to help the community in whatever way I can.

Offline gosufailure

• Familiar Face
    • View Profile
Really bummed out to hear this. I didn't know Forest well, but he did offer some advice when I posted about growing the Stillwater scene.

I hope his family knows how many people in the fighting game community knew him.

Offline I EAT LEGOS

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma loses one of it's best: Forest "Solidus" Sharp passes 7/3/11
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:15 am »
Dang.. I don't know him personally at all except for some small talk in the OK channel on League of Legends. I wouldn't have been at this site if it weren't for his LoL thread which I found by googling. Sucks.. My condolences to the family and friends.