Author Topic: Suggestions for short-term IT work in Tulsa?  (Read 2903 times)

Peretz

Suggestions for short-term IT work in Tulsa?
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:39:06 pm »
I figure there's a healthy crossover between gamers and people in the IT industry, so I'm here to ask: What is the best way to find short-term (1 day to 8 weeks) work in Tulsa?

I ask because I'll be moving to Tulsa in January for 8 weeks. I'm hoping to pick up a few PC refresh projects to help pay the bills and maybe even buy some late Christmas presents for family and friends. (I was laid off 6 weeks into a 9-week project in St. Louis.)

My background's more in PC repair and help desk, but I'm not picky. Paying work is good work.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
Re: Suggestions for short-term IT work in Tulsa?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:27:52 pm »
Yikes, kinda hard to say because I know of very few places that only want someone to work from 1-8 weeks, there are plenty of staffing agencies here that might accomodate, but I don't know if it will be in the IT field.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Peretz

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:54:20 am »
Well, here I am in Tulsa, flailing my arms about (figuratively speaking, of course) trying to find a job.

I've put together a list of local employment agencies to call, but, based on past experience, I expect them all to say, "Well, you'll need to come in and fill out 10 pages of paperwork and clear 2-3 hours of your schedule to talk to someone who's busy right now." That doesn't work very well when I need to "shotgun" my resume to as many agencies as quickly as possible.

If anyone could name specific agencies that have helped them find short-term work in the past or recommend other short-term jobs that would at least be fun, I would greatly appreciate it. There are so many thing I can do without any of them feeling as though they'll yield results; it's hard to know where to start.

Peretz

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:05:45 am »
My apologies for double-posting, but I thought of a follow-up question:

What employment agencies are most helpful in finding short term IT-related work in Tulsa?

I've already been in contact with Robert Half Technology and TEKsystems.

Offline Rislone

• OKgamers T.O.
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: eighty8keyes
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:21:24 pm »
I was employed by EDS after working through Kelley Services, but not really a short term deal TBH.
GT: Eighty8keyes Haloez and anything else I might be playing.

Peretz

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 04:07:11 pm »
I was employed by EDS after working through Kelley Services, but not really a short term deal TBH.
Kelley Services, eh? I'll check it out.

I worked with EDS on a refresh project at the Kraft plant in Springfield, MO. Maybe I should contact them directly.

Thanks for the suggestions!

der_kluge

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:43:13 pm »
Consulting firms are a good start, but they're only as good as whatever position they currently have available is. Plus, most don't really deal with PC support type jobs. You're better off going with a temp agency for that kind of stuff.

Also, have you tried Craigslist?  You might find work there.