Author Topic: EA'S "Project Ten Dollar"  (Read 6114 times)

Offline PPOK

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
    • Pirate Party of OKlahoma
EA'S "Project Ten Dollar"
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:42:10 am »
We wanted to pass along some information about "Project 10 Dollar".

GameStop and other retailers have long been a good resources for cash-poor gamers. It's a good business model for consumers who can buy a game at a cheaper price and get some money for older games, and it is a good business model for GameStop because all profits from used games stay in-house.

The problem for EA and other game developers is that they receive $0.00 from any resold game. In an attempt to squeeze more profits out of gamers, EA has announced that they will charge $10 if you buy a used game and want to unlock in-game features that come free with the original game. Gamers already have to deal with Game Keys that are registered to single accounts, or locked to certain computers. Now EA want's to make a profit on a game that you own. It should not matter if you purchased the game from EA, or if it is a used copy. If you purchase a game, you should own it and have the right to sell it.

This move by EA is sure to be followed by the other game developers. More information about the project can be found here: http://terminalgamer.com/2010/02/10/eas-project-ten-dollar-explained/.

And just to tell you a little about ourselves:

The Pirate Party of Oklahoma is a new political party that believes in fighting for the right to Privacy, to keep the Government and private corporations out of our lives. We believe that the Government should be accountable to us, the people. And we believe that Copyright and Patents have resulted in an environment that is hostile to consumers. Digital Rights Management keeps us from lawfully enjoying products that we have purchased. If anybody want's to join the Pirate Party we are glad to have you, but our goal on okgamers.com is to provide Oklahoma Gamers with relevant news that affect you directly. If you buy the games, you should OWN the games.
The Pirate Party of Oklahoma
"Fighting for privacy, transparency, and against DRM and Copyright Abuse"
http://ppok.us

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Re: EA'S "Project Ten Dollar"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:52:58 pm »
from what i can gather from reading, i have no problem with this.

lets see: EA is now releasing free DLC, which has little effect on the game, if you purchase the game new. this is good, because people who buy new are getting more for the same price.
used game buyers, on the other hand, are getting the same exact thing that they have been getting so far, which is: a used game. if they want dlc that doesnt really affect the game much, they can pay ten dollars.

am i reading this wrong? why is this bad?

on the other hand, yes: DRM needs to die a painful death

Offline Jesus

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:07:24 pm »
*sigh* Let's support game shops that not only drive up the initial cost of games, but also screw the people that buy from them.

GameStop, Vintage Stock, and all the other "second rate" retailer, buy used games from people for maybe 5-10 dollars and turn around and sell these games for just under what the initial cost of these games are. What a racket. Then, because this market takes the "suckers" from buying the game initially, game producers have to up the cost to make profit, meaning I have to pay more......

I'll be glad when the idea of discs are gone and games can only be downloaded like PSN and Xbox Live.

Just my two cents on the scam.

Offline PPOK

• Startin' Out
    • View Profile
    • Pirate Party of OKlahoma
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:16:41 pm »
I realize that the named retailers have their downsides as well. But the $10 dollar project also affects games that are sold between two people, craigslist, ebay, amazon, etc.

The Pirate Party of Oklahoma
"Fighting for privacy, transparency, and against DRM and Copyright Abuse"
http://ppok.us

Offline Jesus

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:22:22 pm »
I do understand that, but the truth remains that used games sold wherever inflates the market. 

Offline onedirtylei

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 07:31:31 am »
"ODLei"

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:57:54 am »

I'll be glad when the idea of discs are gone and games can only be downloaded like PSN and Xbox Live.

Just my two cents on the scam.

they best start selling 300gb consoles then

its evil association

Offline FLIP17

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • THIS IS SWAAAAAGTASTIC
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Flip17
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 12:29:35 pm »
ok let me try to understand

if i went to gamestop and bought a 60$ brand new game, pre-ordered
and they gave me a code to get some free DLC for said game...

but when i got tired of said game and sold it...
according to what your saying
EA has announced that they will charge $10 if you buy a used game and want to unlock in-game features that come free with the original game. 

if i bought the game for 20 bucks i should still get the 10$ DLC that someone else got for buying the game brand new at 60$

i see no point in giving somebody so cheap, a free ticket to that 10$ DLC when they bought the game at a third of the original cost...

when i buy a game new, it makes me feel good that i'm getting something extra when i do.
(doesn't happen but maybe twice a year)
when i buy a game used, i shouldn't expect the extras...
(unless i spend the extra 10$ to get the extras)
call it what you will

but i call it marketing....

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:40:17 pm »
^seems like we are arguing the same point. the only thing you didnt address is that places pay little for your game, and then sell it for just under the new cost, which is what i think jesus is saying. also, its not so much marketing as it is just business. people will pay just under for a used game, so they sell used games for just under.

lets also talk a little about gamestop. i have an edge card which i get for free with my one year of game informer magazine. this card adds 10% to or takes 10% off of used trades/purchases. then lets factor in the free coupons that i get in my email every week. most of these add or take another 25-30%. thats 35-40%. some even add pure money, i.e. trade two games, get 10 extra bucks, but those are rarer. using all of this, i rarely ever make less than five dollars on a game or item, no matter how old it is ("next" generation).

wow i got distracted a lot and forgot where i was going with this. so uhhhhhh

I can understand how supporting these secondhand stores like gamestop could be bad... if you dont use anything at all that i just wrote in the previous paragraph. but people like that are whiny 5-13 year olds who have their moms pay for everything. but dont those people ruin anything they touch?

to summarize: children are bad. nobody should have them ever

p.s. i got sidetracked and forgot what my argument was, so there are probably numerous holes in it. dig away :/

Offline Bees McGee

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:42:52 am »
i just found this http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1070151p1.html

i think this is ridiculous. much more so than the original post.

sorry, i dont want to derail your thread or anything

Offline inCHAINS

• learned the ropes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 04:41:45 pm »
Eh, slightly irritating. Generally the only EA games I buy are sports games and thus I don't buy a lot of DLC. However, I only rented DA:O and bought some DLC for it, I should have just bought it. Since renting I've picked it up off the GameStop shelf multiple times only to return it. If I have to spend and extra ten dollars, like I said it's just a slight annoyance.
Trying to be a living sacrifice.