Author Topic: Tulsa - Dead or Alive 4  (Read 5671 times)

Coolsvilla

Tulsa - Dead or Alive 4
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:21:54 pm »
I was wondering if anyone in the Tulsa area plays DoA4.
I love playing and have been wanting to play with some people offline. The only time I get to play with people offline right now is if I make my friends play and then I can't play seriously because they don't even know how to punch.  :-\
If you don't live in Tulsa but play online, send a FR to PMS Coolsvilla and we play some games, althought I would really love to find some offline players. ^_^

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
Re: Tulsa - Dead or Alive 4
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:28:10 pm »

Is 4 the latest version or no?

I'm only familiar with one of the older more broken versions -_-  I know a few people at TU played it some, and I've had friends that wanted to play it at game night a bit, so if I talk to them soon I'll point them your way.

Also, I've noticed quite a few fighting gamers taking the latest version of DOA serious, much to my dismay lool.  So - I'd be down trying out a bit more serious play for a bit, just to see what it's like.  It it's more interesting than wait - reverse - wait - reverse I'd be at least open to it.  [which is what the older DOA - 3? - devolved into from what I had seen]

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

Coolsvilla

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 04:47:11 pm »
Yes, 4 is the latest one, although I have heard that 5 is in the making. They're also making another Ninja Gaiden from what I've been hearing and there is supposed to be a Dead or Alive Chronos (they may have changed the name) in the works that going to explain the whole storyline.

I didn't play the other DoAs so I don't know how different the gameplay is, but from what I've heard, there are a few changes. I do know that some people don't like it because of the counter system, that you can just guess and get off a lucky counter. But I figure if they keep guessing wrong, then more hits for me.  ;D

As for tournament play, it's getting a lot bigger. I think that it's at Evo and I know that it's in the CGS. If you watched the Championship Gaming Invitationals, they had DoA4, too.

Offline LONEWOLF2021

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:10:45 pm »
I live in Tulsa my gamertag is CRAZY CLOWN 101 i like using hayate and masta chief
THE CLOWN IS IN TOWN.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 11:35:52 pm »

Chronos eh?  Random.

True on the more hits, but I think the concern is at a higher level ya know?  I mean - you play a game for 100+ hours, you focus on the characters - you know all the moves, and how they animate - so it's not random, it's simply a matter of  reflexes...  So unless there are moves in the game that have the exact same start up animation - you can just know what's coming, counter it, get free damage, and come out on top.  Or - that was the case for the older game according to a reliable fighting game fanatic I used to play around at the arcade / Funhouse.  I know I have animations memorized to a fault in Soul Calibur 1 and 2, and most of 3; so if it's possible in one game, I figure it's the same in others...

Yea, I remember EVO had it.  It was one of the games that bumped SC3 -_-  Some of the fighting gamers down in TX that are also involved with the NVGA play it, so I figure - it's probably worth my time to at least check out if I find a community / players for it locally.  That, and I realllly enjoyed Vanessa play on doa3 / whatever I played with some friends a while back.  So yea, more of a reason for me to pay attention heh.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Coolsvilla

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 12:45:49 pm »
Even if you go over all the frame data and memorize everyone's moves, you can still have an opponent who will change it up and throw you off.

Like Kasumi. She has a fast punching combo but most of them are in the same zone. If she decides to cancel her attack after the second punch and you counter hoping for a third, you're going to get hit (or punished lol). But if you don't counter and she does the punch, you could also get hit if you aren't blocking. It's all a mind game.

The only characters that really want to counter with frequently are Bayman and Leon, and possibly the wrestlers.

Offline LONEWOLF2021

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 10:25:29 am »
Hey meet me online on Doa4 around 5:00pm alright ill see ya there.
THE CLOWN IS IN TOWN.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:47:32 pm »
Even if you go over all the frame data and memorize everyone's moves, you can still have an opponent who will change it up and throw you off.

Like Kasumi. She has a fast punching combo but most of them are in the same zone. If she decides to cancel her attack after the second punch and you counter hoping for a third, you're going to get hit (or punished lol). But if you don't counter and she does the punch, you could also get hit if you aren't blocking. It's all a mind game.

That's where the fun is at!  I mean, I really pushed to be one of the best in Soul Calibur - so being in a smaller community, and knowing what they could do - I'm sure the DOA community has plenty of people that know the exact timing / frame changes between cancels and so forth - I mean, when I said 'you know all the moves' - I meant basic moves, strings, feints and all.  For Soul Calibur the average character had 80 to 100 moves - and with a roster of 12+ - it's not something you just pick up - but still, it's very doable.  Meh, maybe that level of dedication doesn't exist, but I doubt it - where there are fighting games - there are gamers that go hardcore with it heh.

And - your still right on the mind game.   I mean - even if they counter the first 2 sets of non-cancelled hits - you can go for that third, and then cancel - and get your rewards.  Although - a few of the best fighters I know from SC / Naruto / Tekken - don't watch for patterns or even pay attention to who they are playing - they respond purely to what's animating out on the screen.  And when someone moves beyond conditioning, and beyond that level of almost human reflex limits - it's awesome to play them, a know they exist heh.

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Coolsvilla

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 01:34:27 pm »
I know that there are tons of people that memorize the frame data and learn what combos look like, but the variety and ability to avoid the counters is still there.

I know that, right now, Master is the best DoA4 player (at least in the States). But I watched a CGI clip the other day and he didn't counter much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8mUyimZl4&eurl=

That's a link to the final match between Offbeat Ninja (nice guy when I played with him online) and Master (not a fan of the man, myself. camera ham lol). If you watch, you can see that countering isn't as big a part of the gameplay as you think it is. The way most high level players look at it is "if you don't see it coming or KNOW it's coming, don't counter."

Offline LONEWOLF2021

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 10:45:42 am »
That sounds like a pretty good philosphy but if you can jus keep pressing the counter button during a combo you usually get lucky and counter them. They really need to lower the damage down for counters they do so much its crazy.
THE CLOWN IS IN TOWN.

Coolsvilla

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 12:08:09 pm »
It doesn't work that way. I mean, I use Christy and she has quite a few mid punch moves. If you stand there and only counter mid punches and you keep countering me, that means I'm doing bad and I need to quit punching mid. If you still continue to counter mid and I never punch mid, you'll get double the damage and stunned, making it a longer recovery time for you.
Soul Caliber 2 (which I only got for Link ;) and is the only other fighting game that I've played with a "counter" system) had only 2 types of breaks, making it a lot easier to pull off the idea of just doing the same counter (or break, I think it was called) over and over. Since there are 4 ways you have to counter in DoA4, it makes this much harder to pull off.

While I do think that the high and low attacks should be treated like the mids, where forward mid counter is for kicks and back mid counter is for punches, I think that a good player knows the strenghts and weaknesses of their character and knows how to change things up. I know that Christy's strength is to stun and juggle a person and if I stand and punch over and over, I'll get countered.

Offline X_A

• Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 12:58:28 am »

Yea, Christie was who I liked in DOA 3 - which is what I played.  That advancing spinning mid hit was the bomb!  lol

However - let's not get confused here.  DOA has reversals - Soul Calibur has guard impacts.  Reversals - do damage.  Guard impacts, or GI's as we call them consist of parries - or repels and did NO damage.  Also, GI's gave no advantage / left you at a 50/50 decision point at best.  There was some crap / advantage you could squeeze out / changed that if you did a glitch in SC2/3.  Still though, GI's simply redirected the flow of battle, and their positioning in the ring - more so in a parry, than a repel.  [And - in SC1 - and back in 3 - that WATERED DOWN crap of 2 directions covering highs / mids / lows - was dropped.  Lousy watering down the series for tekken converts!]

After doing some research and talking to a few trusted SC / DOA types, it sounds like ALOT of the moves do start out animating similiarly - that's a big point to 'not being able to just reverse things based on animation' - because without a good 10 to 15 frame clear animation / startup - that kinda reflexes / knowledge on the reversals are hard.

Also - I've been told by those that play in Master's circle / know of the community well enough to say so imo as a result - that it's also a fairly young community.  So - I suspect alot of the broken stuff / 'ultimate level' of play may not have been squeezed outta it yet.

I'm definitely interested in giving it a try - as what TX takes seriously - I'll at least review :)  Those boys down there like their fighting games though, so maybe they are a bit biased lol.

Re- the video?  Made some old hardcore SC players I know want to kill themselves - lol.  I enjoyed it, but man, TX produces such sh*t talkers.  Also - missing juggles?  Not landing guaranteed damage?  These things hurt me at such a 'high level' of play as they are doing - and while I don't have anyone to label out the play by play / how hard it was to continue that sort of stuff - after watching some of the french console league stuff, I feel the US types might just yea - still be a younger community for it.  Really, it's kinda exciting... But enough for me to jump past 'open to it' and right into full blown 'going after it', getting a console and starting to play it?  Mehhh, not sure I can make that jump.   Then of course, there's also the deterant of my friends making fun of me :) lol

X A

OKgamers.com - our goals

Coolsvilla

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:39:42 pm »
The only SC game I played was the second on the GC, so that's why I compared the two. I didn't realize that there was a big difference between the first, second, and third. :)

I thought the video wasn't some of the best gameplay I've seen. I think that this was one of the first times that Offbeat Ninja was on a TV tournament and he was nervous and made some mistakes (some people on doacentral think that he should have won if he wasn't nervous). There was a disscussion on the CGS boards and the doa boards about the announcer and they agree that they did it in a dumbed down way to get newer, less experienced players to be able to watch the matches. From what I heard, they said stupid things like "That guy hid behind a box to help his team with a kill" durning the CS parts. lol

I say if you want to try it, then go for it. I think it's a great game (even though it's frustrating at times lol). They only way that you'll see the differences and decided if you like it is if you play it.  ;)

Offline blindsamurai

• OKgamers Supporters
  • OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: xgcx casper
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:06:20 pm »
are there DOA  tournaments comeing up

Coolsvilla

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 02:03:32 pm »
There seems to be one here - http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php?topic=492.0

I won't be able to go because I'll be out of town for a different DoA tournament (lol the irony, right?).