Author Topic: Mortal Kombat 9 - Game Night  (Read 20835 times)

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • SEN ID: PMS_BiPoLar
  • Wii ID: 4621-2040-3385-5205
  • XBL ID: PMS BiPoLar
Mortal Kombat 9 - Game Night
« on: May 18, 2011, 01:07:34 pm »
Hey guys/girls,

Unfortunatly this has been cancelled but ill be trying to find out where some people are hosting mk and keep you all posted. There's some people who play in Norman that post on the Facebook below.

Thanks,
Bridgette (BiPoLar)

Oklahoma Mortal Kombat Players facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_136787209732728
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:19:53 am by BiPoLar BuNNy »

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Mortal Kombat 9 - Game Night
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »
We have a dedicated xbox and ps3 set up with an additional tv and spare systems for a potential 3rd set up. Byoc, and we are not a taxi service. Bring yourself and take yourself home.

Offline Michael Jackson

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • PSN ID: Paxmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »
Awwwwww snap, Mortal Kombat ALL UP IN YO [Expletive Deleted]

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: SolidusSpriggan
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:28:47 pm »
If you guys show me a scene for MK I'll host it at monthlies.

Holla!

I'm not keeping up on metagame, are there any dumb rules involved so far?

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:17:29 pm »
The rules are pretty much generic right now. 2 of 3 rounds. No kratos or kratos stage. 60 seconds I believe.  2 of 3 games. I forget if its 2 of 3 til finals and 3 of 5 finals or the 3d format. Same rules for button mapping and testing, accidental pausing, etc. As all other games.

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:28:17 pm »
Why is Kratos banned?

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:32:53 pm »
Because console specific characters are always ban.

Only other rules I have seen are:

* Some tournaments choose to ban the street stage. I'm not 100% sure why, but perhaps it has something to do with the cars that momentarily block visuals when they drive by?

* Only the loser of the match is allowed to choose a new character. The winner must use the same  character.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:24:18 am by BiPoLar BuNNy »

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 04:26:15 am »
If there isn't a mechanical reason for banning him then he shouldn't be banned. There has to be something really wrong with a character to ban it IMO. DLC and other limited availability characters have been allowed if they weren't broken. Besides I hear he actually isn't very good, which makes it all the more interesting to see how the matchup plays out.
Anyway looks like there is some interest for this. If we can get the setups I'll see about running it in June. We'll shoot for PS3 setups for Kratos purposes.

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 09:44:20 am »
The kratos ban is because he is not on xbox. Right now there are more xbox players than ps3, mostly due mostly to the psn outage. They only allow universal characters. If all players don't have fair access to it, its banned. It's not a bad rule. Not sure how dlc will work since any new characters introduced will need a balancing period.

The winner stay loser. change is a generic rule amomgst most fighting games to prevent the winner from counter-comping the loser.

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:58:35 am »
Mk9 will even be played on ps3 at Evo. Kratos still banned.

http://evo2k.com/?p=22

Powerup... banned.

http://www.powerupfighters.com/tournament/rules/

Pdp Vegas tournament was played on xbox.

http://pdptournaments.com/tournament-rules.html

Random tournaments around the states, banned. Lol

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/20470-Mortal-Kombat-9-Tournament-on-May-14th-on-Chicago-Southside

Basically its just the rules and the mk9 tournament players have embraced the rule. As soon as the announcement for Kratos was released the community was even asking for a ban.

This isn't anything new.... its been like this always in fighting games because they not only require you to know your moves  but your opponents as well. 360 users don't have a fair chance to even know how he plays and no one is going to main Kratos anyways due to the fact that tournaments are held on 360 as well.. it would be pointless.

As far as casual play goes flail around with Kratos to the player's hearts content but as for Evo or any known tournament he is 100% banned.

Offline tenindo

• Official OKgamer
  • i do wat i do,.,.,.,.thatz how i do it
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Tenindo
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »
Iz it coo if me and 2 friendz come??,.,.,,.,.,.I got a set-up in tha car ,.,.,.locked and loaded,.,.,.,..,
6(~.')9

Offline Solidus

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 01:00:41 pm »

Iz it coo if me and 2 friendz come??,.,.,,.,.,.I got a set-up in tha car ,.,.,.locked and loaded,.,.,.,..,

You should come to OK monthlies, bring your MK setup and play friendlies after Melee is over. You might even garner some interest in the game if we are to add it later. Be sure and bring a monitor as well.

On the note of bans....all I can say is "wow" that many people QQd because they were too lazy to learn a matchup? What about Kratos mains? Whats even more disturbing is that Evo and Power up listened to them! Those are pretty knee jerk reaction rules, we should ban Jill and Shuma as well since some people don't have access to the internet or money to spend on extra stuff, they are also bad at making friends so they can't go to someone's house  to play with the other characters. Kids these days! I really hope OK is better than that.  Sorry I went through this BS with Metaknight, with BBCS, and with Marvel DLC. I disagree with bans in sans absolutely retarded frame data.

But depending on what kind of setup commits we get he may be unavailable. Overall HxC has more xboxs. But if I get PS3 users to commit setups than I would be inclined to allow Kratos play. I happen to know a couple of Kratos mains, people are secluding a large part of the community by banning him. I'm interesting in bringing the largest number of Oklahoma players together that I can....so this just isn't conducive to that.

Allowing Kratos can't make your game worse anyway, it can only make it better, giving you more insight into a metagame that others are neglecting.

Offline tenindo

• Official OKgamer
  • i do wat i do,.,.,.,.thatz how i do it
    • View Profile
  • XBL ID: Tenindo
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 01:09:42 pm »
About wat timeu guyz start?
6(~.')9

Offline BiPoLar BuNNy

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 01:44:36 pm »
Yes anyone is welcome to come, we start after 5. Have to wait for my roommate to get home. Solidus is talking about something entirely different called monthlies.

As for  the ban.... no one is QQing about Kratos being ban. To be blunt no one really cares because he isn't a good character anyways. As for your friends maining Kratos, ill rephrase. No one in the tournament scene is going to main Kratos. In all honestly the only people crying about his ban are  casuals and I don't understand why if they aren't even playing in tournaments. He isnt ban in casual play,  lol.

Evo and powerup didn't listen to QQ they just know that's the law of the land lulz, It always has been. It's not the fact that people don't want to learn a match up, its the fact that they don't have access to learn him. telling xbox users to go buy a ps3 or find somewhere to practice on a ps3 bc Kratos is going to be allowed is absurd. 

Offline rev

• OKgamer Evangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 01:47:43 pm »
There's a difference in having access and opting to not buy a character and completely not having access because your system doesn't support the character. In sc4 vader and yoda were banned until they were released for both systems. Not everyone owns both systems and is willing to buy. The game for both. You are completely missing the point.