Author Topic: Fighting Game Stigma??????  (Read 4188 times)

Offline 23rd_letter_assasin

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
  • SEN ID: Tracy_UNO
Fighting Game Stigma??????
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:41:18 pm »
So I'm at work checking the site and a guy that I work with came to my desk. He seen I was on and was suprised. We tell each other what we play, etc. Then he said he doesnt like Fighters bc they are broken. I asked how are they broken and his response was that there's always some character that has unstoppable combos. He gave the notion that its not worth learning and playing bc of that. Is that what other gamers that are not into fighters think? Could that be why its so hard to find MK/SSF4 players but you can slaughter millions of COD/MW#/HALO players and still not come close to even-ing the numbers?
i guess a gif of Quan Chi's beat down fatality would be against site rules. so picture me standing over you with a mannequin leg waiting for you to look over your shoulder.....

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Game Stigma??????
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:18:14 pm »
Well naturally you should tell the guy he's an idiot, and that he should actually learn the games before talking."

AND THEN quit because there really is at least 1 character that's bullcrap good

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:41:33 pm »
i let him go about his business. didnt seem worth it to continue, but is that why its so hard to find fighters? the guy was just kinda smug about it. Ive always thought fighters were great. I honestly didnt think it would be so hard to find local play.
i guess a gif of Quan Chi's beat down fatality would be against site rules. so picture me standing over you with a mannequin leg waiting for you to look over your shoulder.....

Offline godmode

• OKgamer Evangelist
  • XBL Gamertag = Oh My Godmode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:37:21 pm »
Well naturally you should tell the guy he's an idiot, and that he should actually learn the games before talking."

Yes. Your 1st natural inclination should be to insult someone because they disagree with you lol

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:36 pm »

Yes. Your 1st natural inclination should be to insult someone because they disagree with you lol
Ha Ha

Honestly he is an idiot and he would be a noob but at the same time you educate the noob and you tell him hey..quit button mashing that will get you no where.
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:16:34 pm »
so have you guys noticed any stigmas/attitudes about fighting games when talking others in the gaming community that prefer other games over fighters?

Offline Timmy Skorcher

• Business Owner
  • OKgamer fo' life
  • Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers
    • View Profile
    • Hardcore LAN Center
  • XBL ID: aXs Skorcher
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »
so have you guys noticed any stigmas/attitudes about fighting games when talking others in the gaming community that prefer other games over fighters?

I noticed that they hate it when their favorite character is destroyed and they have to much pride to pick another that would probably help them win more. OKgamers community will safe the fighters no worries
"Hardcore Gaming For Hardcore Gamers"
HxC LAN Center

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:17:06 pm »

I noticed that they hate it when their favorite character is destroyed and they have to much pride to pick another that would probably help them win more. OKgamers community will safe the fighters no worries

i picked up on that vibe early on the okgamer line you mentioned. honestly, i was asking about the stig bc its so hard to find gamers that play fighters. i cant even find anyone to try to play online thats local. its like being exiled from exile. FPSs are ok but i came up on fighters so its my first choice. i dont wanna learn the latest ♥♥♥♥♥-riding title that everyone plays if i'm not genuinely interested. thought someone would feel my pain and want to try to get a couple of games in, thats all.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:51:09 pm by 23rd_letter_assasin »

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:47 am »
well it's not just fighters, it's about which ones. There's a split between american and japanese, 2d and 3d, capcom and every other company, so it's hard to find someone that will play the game you play.

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 02:55:14 pm »
well it's not just fighters, it's about which ones. There's a split between american and japanese, 2d and 3d, capcom and every other company, so it's hard to find someone that will play the game you play.

that makes sense when you look at it like that. i guess the more i venture into the site, the more i see that very point. it just seems like fighting games are a small peice of the gaming pie. Since everyone in that division being fractioned more (2d, 3d, american, japanese, etc.), i dont like my chances of finding others.

ok, enough with the sensible resopnses. how hard is it to find a MK player on the site that cares enuff to accept online play if asked??!?!??!

i mean, ♥♥♥♥♥!

Offline Animefreak6969

• OKgamer fo' life
  • YUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 06:26:29 am »
lol exactly

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 08:55:59 pm »
wow. mk isnt a bad game. its a shame, really.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 08:19:33 pm »

A - it's REALLY HARD To truly "balance" a fighting game - you either make it fun, and it's unbalanced, or stale and boring, but all the characters are even...

B - when rash horrible balance issues come out, responsible communities ban / create rules to take care of that...  Sure, SSBB community didn't because they relied on the people WINNING to make their decisions, and well, they were all MK's :)  But usually, it does happen, and issues are resolved.

C - IMO, fighters have a huge stigma - of mashers vs intermediates...

It's really simple math though:  mashers constantly hit buttons, so they are always attacking.  An intermediate is trying to use what they've LEARNED, but that means - they aren't just hitting buttons, they are trying to get this one combo down, certain input, etc, etc... 

...so while the intermediate is thinking, the masher wins. 

"Ohh, this game is BS, blah blah" ensues, and well, the masher never learns, and the intermediate stops where he's at and quits.

That - imo - is a big big stigma issue.  Then, once you get good at a game, yes - tournament play is 100% different than casual.  Yes, if a game has been out - there is a LARGE learning curve to get past to play with the pro's locally.  Yes, one or several characters can give you serious issues.  But, unless it's MetaKnight in Smash, for the most part, they are "Beatable" - you just have to practice / over come / adapt, etc.

Shooters have entirely different problems - but one of those isn't the netcode sucking.  You can get on any time, and play against someone in a fairly fair environment - that alone puts a FPS over a fighter in ease of popularity and accessibility...  Doesn't make them better, just currently the fad due to technology, etc.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!

• Official OKgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »
its crazy when you post bc its so much there, but its always on point. thanks for the extra on the FPS. wasnt expecting/suspecting that part of it. i guess i can let it die. MK is way better than anyone gives it credit for.

Offline X_A

• X A - Lead OKGamer Evangelist
  • Administrator
  • OKgamer fo' life
    • View Profile
    • http://okgamers.com
  • SEN ID: XianghuaALPHA
  • XBL ID: XianghuaALPHA
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 02:28:36 am »
its crazy when you post bc its so much there, but its always on point. thanks for the extra on the FPS. wasnt expecting/suspecting that part of it. i guess i can let it die. MK is way better than anyone gives it credit for.

Well, and there are dedicated MK players - some may have burned out, but don't let it die.

...especially - since you guys had a good showing at TnT - if you can KEEP IT ALIVE until 7/20-22 - we'll see TnT showing you some lovin'...

...the test will probably be OKgamers' 6th anni event at TCC Metro on 2/25 - if no one shows up for that event - we'll probably assume MK is dead.  I'm hoping that won't be the case :)

If you care about the game - advocate.  Talk to people that did and do play, and keep them playing regularly - like at Alien Games regular gatherings, etc.  Be the advocate the game needs, it just takes dedicated players that love the game.

X A

Oklahoma doesn't have to "suck"
OKGamers.com - spread the word. 
OKgamers.com - our goals

New to the site?  Welcome to OKgamers.com!  Let us know how you found us!